Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Five Years Ago

Yesterday marked the fifth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Although I had long since moved away from "home", the pummeling my hometown and surrounding area took was heart-breaking for me on many levels. I had family members and friends lose all they had as their homes washed away. I still look for the familiar landmarks whenever I visit, and they are just not there... forever gone. The distance I live from "home" has kept me from accepting that things just won't ever be the same down there. My friends and family though are intrepid and they carry on. A little worse for the wear, but with the bravest hearts I know.

Katrina also marks another anniversary for my husband and me. It was on that same week that we packed up and headed out for a romantic stay at bed and breakfast. The kickoff of officially "trying" for a baby. I remember being so conflicted, wanting to enjoy our beautiful surroundings yet tightly gripping my cell phone, waiting for calls from the people I love to tell my they'd survived.

And they did survive; and so have we. Five years of infertility can wear you out. We've spent 5 of our of our 7 1/2 years together counting days. We are so blessed though. A beautiful little boy and 2 angels in heaven to meet someday (well, actually more than 2 as we believe every embryo we've ever transferred was a life). I wouldn't trade any of it! It's all been worth it!

In current events, I have been on my diet for 4 weeks now and have lost 14.5 pounds. So, I press on! We have booked a week in Williamsburg for a little family vacation in late October, and I'm thrilled about it!

1 comment:

  1. Catching up....but you've never been far from my prayers! 14.5 pounds is AWESOME! Hooray for you!!! I also think you will really enjoy Williamsburg and I am glad you are going to be able to go. I love it.

    Always keeping you lifted!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete